Sunday, November 17, 2013

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm Review- Hibiscus and Sweet Violet


As you may not know, I'm slightly obsessed with tinted lip balms. A few months back, I tried the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus. I was slightly disappointed, because it wasn't as pink as I thought it was going to be. It was expensive for a drugstore tinted lip balm, it was $7. I stashed it away and forgot about it. Ever since then, I've been looking at the full display in my CVS. Every time I was in there, I wanted to try Sweet Violet, but I told myself no for a long time because it was on the pricey side. I finally caved and decided to buy it.



It comes in a brown case. The color of the balm is at the bottom. It's hard to explain, but the actual tube of lip balm is inside. I like how you can see the color. I don't understand the need for the case. I never use the cases, because there's no point. The actual stick of lip balm isn't bulky. The stick is standard for a normal lip balm, it contains 0.15 oz. All the ingredients and facts about the lip balm are on the case. The packaging is quite boring because it's brown, but I honestly don't buy something because of the tube's color.




The texture of the balm is nice and smooth. It doesn't feel too thick and heavy on my lips. It's very comfortable to wear, like a normal lip balm. It goes on smooth and even. I think these tinted lip balms are some of the more moisturizing tinted lip balms. This lip balm contains Shea butter, lanolin, and coconut oil, which Dr. Oz says actually moisturizes the lips. It's also 100% natural, which is always a plus. Both don't really taste like anything. The smell is hard to describe, it's kinda natural smelling(makes sense). If that really bothers you, don't worry it's not very strong and after a few minutes you can't smell it on your lips.

Hibiscus: As I said before, this was the first one I got. I got it at some local store, where they only had three shades. I really wanted to try one, and there was a whitish pearly color, a red, and this color. I got this one because it looked like a rosey pink and the one I would wear the most. Honestly, it's more of an earthy toned carrot rose color. I think it would look better on warmer toned skin.
 
 
Sweet Violet: I recently got this one a few weeks ago at CVS. I really enjoy this color. This kind of plummy color family I love in tinted lip balms. Sheer plummy-purple colors like this add a tint of blue-based pink to my lips. This one is my favorite out of the two, and I would highly recommend this one.
*Sweet Violet is actually more pigmented then shown
 
 

Pros
  • Very moisturizing
  • Good color selection, they come in 9 shades
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Decent pigmentation for a tinted balm
  • Sweet Violet is a beautiful color
Cons
  • Expensive for a drugstore balm- $7
  • Personally, I don't like the color of Hibiscus

Would I recommend?
I would definitely recommend Sweet Violet. If you're looking for a good plummy tinted lip balm, this would be great to try out. I wouldn't recommend Hibiscus, but maybe it would look good on a different skin tone. I would love to try out more shades, I've got my eye on Pink Blossom.

You can see all the shades here, on the Burt's Bees website.


No comments:

Post a Comment